Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Department of Human Services

Adult Addiction Treatment

The Dane County Department of Human Services offers treatment services for alcohol and other drug abuse (AODA). Our mission is to promote an environment where everyone is successful in the community. The Department contracts with local agencies and organizations to provide programs and services.

Some cuts the 't' off of the word 'can't' so a post card reads "I can do it".

Finding a Provider

If you or someone you know needs help with an alcohol or drug problem, you should first consult with your health insurance company and/or your doctor. Generally, there is a required service provider for those who have private health insurance or another form of financial help. Check with your health plan administrator for details.

If you do not have health insurance or the ability to pay for treatment, you may be eligible for services with one of Dane County's providers. These providers counsel individuals struggling with substance abuse through County funded programs.

Resident Treatment

Any adult Dane County resident looking for residential treatment for substance use is welcome at our walk-in clinic on Mondays (except holidays) before 9:00 AM:
2914 Industrial Drive
Madison WI 53713
(608) 223-3300

Upon arrival, we evaluate visitors to determine eligibility for county-funded residential treatment. Those who need residential care, as well as supervised detoxification, will be admitted to the Treatment Readiness Center (TRC) for withdrawal management. In most cases, admission to withdrawal management will begin right after the evaluation.

If withdrawal management is not needed, admission to residential treatment may occur that day. This depends on individual circumstances.

Dane County Department of Human Services contracts with the following agencies for residential substance abuse treatment:

Click Here for Outpatient Treatment Resources from Journey Mental Health Center

Treatment Eligibility and Cost

To receive AODA services funded by Dane County, you must be a Dane County Resident. Most of these services are for individuals without health insurance or the financial ability to pay. Every service provider operates in its own way. Certain providers have other funding sources to help keep the cost of service down. Service fees are also often dependant on a person's ability to pay.

To request information on eligibility and funding, please contact AODA service providers directly.

How to Apply

If you have health insurance:
Contact your health plan provider to get a list of approved AODA services and to get any required referrals for service.

If you do not have health insurance:
Contact local service providers to find out intake policies, fees, and whether Dane County funding is available.